Self-Care for Loneliness
1. Watch a movie, the more engaging the better!
2. Practice yoga. This is one of my favorite things to do when I’m lonely.
3. Get in touch with a friend. Ask for what you need. Find your voice. Tell people what you need from them to alleviate the loneliness. Friends respond to direct messages for help and support. Give it a try, you might be surprised!
4. Snuggle an animal or pet. Bonding with an animal, is one of the easiest ways for you to feel connected again.
5. Buy yourself an orchid. They survive most forms of ill treatment, you can say what you like to them and they won’t answer back.
6. Go for a walk. Taking yourself out of your environment and moving your body can sometimes do wonders for lonely feelings.
7. Replace negative self-talk with affirming messages, such as, “I am perfectly lovable just as I am,” and “I welcome love, friendship and support into my life.”
8. Fight the urge to isolate. Isolation validates your fears that you are not worthy of the love and support you absolutely deserve. Sometimes you have to force yourself to do exactly that which you are dreading — like putting yourself out there.
9. Take action. Don’t wait for an invitation. Be willing to take a risk, be proactive and invite people to share in your life, whether it is for coffee, lunch, a walk, an event or a gathering in your home.
10. Recognise the importance of being alone and enjoying solitude. Being alone is not the same as being lonely. Peace, quiet, freedom, space and the opportunity to connect with your deeper self.